Trojans edge rival Cougars

West Brunswick’s Quintin Ash (left) shoots while defended by South Brunswick’s James Prince in Friday’s Waccamaw Conference boys game. (Photo by Photo by Matt Born)

SHALLOTTE | West Brunswick shook off a slow start Friday night and held off a late comeback bid from South Brunswick to earn a 57-47 victory.

The result improves the Trojans' Waccamaw Conference boys basketball record to 5-2 and 8-7 overall.

Gray Cheers led West Brunswick and all scorers with 18 points. Teammate OJ Hill finished with 13, including a 9-for-10 effort at the free-throw line, pacing an overall 24-of-29 rate from his team at the stripe.

"I thought we played really well defensively and that's where our focus has been," West Brunswick coach Eric Davis said. "We've been good defensively at home. We haven't been very good on the road."

Blaine Tucker paced the Cougars' offense with 11 points, while three teammates added nine each – Khalin Clemmons, Dylan Mosely and Monjharvis Walls. James Prince pulled down a game-high 11 rebounds.

The Trojans trailed 10-6 after one quarter and did not drain a field goal until the 2:24 mark of the period. But Cheers scored 11 of their 25 points in the second period on the way to a 31-24 lead at the break.

South Brunswick cut the lead to 52-47 late in the game, but West Brunswick shut the door from that point through to the end.

A large crowd packed the gymnasium for the matchup of county and Waccamaw Conference rivals.

"We missed a lot of shots, some easy ones early," Davis said. "I think some nerves and the crowd got to our guys.

"I'm proud of the guys. They really locked in this week defensively"

The Cougars (3-11, 0-4) swished through seven 3-pointers, including five in the first half.


The Cougars (2-11, 2-2 Waccamaw Conference) got 10 points each from Ta Chondria Bryant and Kyasia Johnson. Johnson also capped off her double-double with an impressive 21 rebounds.

Kianna Pigott paced West Brunswick (1-11, 0-6) with nine points. Teammate Dazia Gause pulled down 10 rebounds.

The score was tied on eight different occasions over the course of the first half, before South Brunswick took a 25-22 edge into the break.